Mount Everest Foundation
Supporting the exploratory

£100,000 worth of MEF expedition grants on hold

As a result of the Covid-19 outbreak, unfortunately all grant payments have been placed on hold until expeditions can meet 3 key criteria.

At its March 2020 meeting the MEF Screening Committee recommended grants to 38 expeditions totalling more than £100,000, but before these could be confirmed by the Management Committee Covid 19 struck. The Committee felt that it was vital that no expedition should proceed if there was any danger of spreading the virus into a remote location, which could have devastating consequences to vulnerable communities.

The decision was taken that no grant would be paid out until an expedition could travel under the following conditions:

  • That the FCO and WHO advice allows leisure travel to the destination country.
  • That the destination country’s borders are fully open to tourists, and that internal travel restrictions have been lifted.
  • That the expedition is fully and properly insured with a suitable insurance policy from a recognised insurer.

When all the above conditions are met expeditions are invited to reapply for grants.