Researchers applying for MEF funding should consider how closely their expedition aligns with the following new criteria:
- Any expeditions funded by the MEF must take place in mountain regions and have exploration (the acquisition of new knowledge) as their main purpose.
- To meet these two criteria an expedition is likely to be visiting a little studied or rarely visited region and collecting data or knowledge that would not be easy to obtain without the expedition taking place.
- The MEF now plans to focus its research funding on expeditions involving Post-Graduate and Early Career Researchers (ECR). Established researchers wishing to pilot larger field research programmes will also be considered.
- Preference will be given to those ECRs (less than 10 years since PhD), and postgraduate research students (PhD or masters by research) without formal funding (e.g. research council or institutional) to support field costs. Proposals which show a strong collaboration with local researchers are particularly welcome.
- Research projects by Undergraduate and taught Masters students will not be funded.
Applications are now open for expeditions taking place after mid-April 2021. The deadline for applications is January 31st 2021. The new application form and details of how to apply can be found here.