Mount Everest Foundation
Supporting the exploratory

Mount Crillon Expedition

After almost a week of delay due to insufficient visibility for the glacier landing, the team reached base camp on the Brady Glacier close to the east ridge of Mt Crillon. Deep soft snow meant difficulty for the aircraft but after landing safely and establishing camp, they began making progress towards the start of the route on the 11th April. However, the team got no further after a series of fronts carrying significant snowfall and poor freezes prevented further safe activity. Following a forecast update projecting a continuation of the same pattern until at least 23rd April, they decided they would have insufficient time to climb Mt Crillon, or any other significant objective, even if conditions subsequently improved. With this decision made they requested a pick up and flew out during a brief clearance of weather. Once back they saw that the unsettled and at times stormy low-pressure weather continued in the area, and any high pressure that might have allowed for climbing did not commence until the 27th April, which would have been too close to their originally planned departure date. The ridge remains a substantial unclimbed line in Alaska, having only seen two other recorded expeditions; by Loren Adkins and Paul Barnes in 1988, and Paul Knott and Kieran Parsons in 2014.

April - May 2019
Paul Knott and Jacob Downie
Expedition Report

Other expeditions nearby