In 1978 Alison Chadwick, a leading British female climber, died close to the summit of Annapurna whilst a member of the successful American Women’s Expedition. A Memorial Fund was instituted in her name, to provide grants ‘to further British and Polish women’s mountaineering in the world’s greater ranges’.
In 1991 administration of the fund was transferred to the Mount Everest Foundation. The Award can be made to expeditions with mainly female members, or to individuals taking part in mixed expeditions. Applicants should use the standard MEF application form (MEF-F), and their eligibility will be considered automatically during the screening process.
Recent recipients of the Grant include:
- 2010 Penny Goddard NZ Antarctica Peninsular Expedition
- 2011 Iwonna Huowska British Eren Habirga Expedition
- 2012 Susan Jensen Scottish Zanskar Expedition
- 2013 Susan Jensen Indo-British Saser Expedition
- 2014 Emily Ward Navlikin Expedition